Keeping Hands Conditioned and Protected in the Winter
The extremes of winter weather can have a detrimental effect on the health of your skin. Frigid temperatures, harsh winds, and low humidity rob your skin of moisture. Heating systems, running constantly to warm your home or work, can create dry conditions indoors as well. Coupled with the continuing pandemic that requires extra attentiveness to handwashing, the skin of your hands is experiencing more irritation than ever.
Enduring cracking, itching, and bleeding hands may be a familiar experience. The most pressing concern is typically the discomfort it causes. Leaving damaged skin untreated can lead to eczema flare-ups or the development of dermatitis. The best solution is to create conditions that prevent your hands from getting to that point.
How can you protect your hands?
While you cannot control the weather, you can control how you manage its effects. Take simple steps in your daily routine to protect and moisturize your hands as much as possible.
- Keep skin well hydrated by drinking water throughout the day
- Run a humidifier to add moisture back into the air
- Use a moisturizing hand cream, remembering to apply after washing your hands
- Apply a particularly heavy moisturizer before going to bed - Wear gloves or mittens if you are going to be outside for very long
- Use a gentle exfoliant once a week to remove dead skin from your hands and allow lotion to better penetrate
- Avoid using alcohol-based wipes, which dry out your skin
- Use warm water—rather than hot—when washing your hands or bathing
- See a dermatologist about any persistent redness, itching, or peeling
Dreumex can help
Dreumex offers a Natural Care reconditioning cream to protect against the damaging impact work and weather can have on hands. The cream is especially effective because it requires just a thin layer and quickly absorbs into the skin. Natural Care can be used throughout the day without concerns about prolonged slickness, making it an ideal solution for employees who work with their hands. Not only does the cream add necessary moisture back into your skin, but it supports your skin’s ability to heal.
Dreumex also offers a highly effective barrier hand cream called Dreumex Universal Protect, which protects skin against oil, grease, solvents, paint, and more. Using this protective cream can improve your grip and make it easier to clean your hands after exposure to these aggressive substances. It can be applied to both dry and wet hands and is absorbed quickly.
For every type of hand care need—and to keep hands conditioned and protected in the winter and beyond—there is a suitable Dreumex product, including effective soaps and hand cleaners, many of which contain skin care or conditioning ingredients. Please get in touch if there is any way we can help.